Frederiksted, St. Croix USVI - U.S. Virgin Islands
located on the west end of St. Croix, has a long and storied history.
The town was established in 1751 and it is the
second largest town on St. Croix.
originally protected by
which dates back to 1700. Today, the fort houses a museum.
Frederiksted is often referred to by locals as "Freedom City" because it
and the fort is the
site where then Governor General Peter Van Scholten read the proclamation
abolishing slavery in 1848.
Photo above courtesy of Wayne Lehr
The town was destroyed by
fire in 1878 as a result of a labor revolt. Arson was the cause of the fire which was
used as a means of revolt. The revolt was led by four
Crucian female laborers. The town was later restored during the
Victorian era, which is why it now has
such lovely "gingerbread" Victorian architecture. The
town retains its original seven street by seven street city
Frederiksted's Strand Street. This street runs along the waterfront.
A visit to Frederiksted will
allow you to see several historic buildings including, St.
Patrick's Catholic Church, which was built in the 1840s, along
with its primary school, the Customs House, the 19th Century
Apothecary, as well as many other historic buildings.
Unfortunately, many of these have fallen into ruins due to
several major hurricanes and the passing of time.
The Frederiksted of today has a newly renovated and colorful waterfront that draws
cruise ships and visitors from
all around the world. When a ship is in port, the town literally comes
alive with arts and crafts vendors, local food and drink
vendors, live music, dancing Mocko Jumbies and many happy
tourists enjoying their visit to the island.
Cruise ship departing Frederiksted
Dancers entertaining cruise ship passengers.
renovated Ann E. Abramson Marine Facility - Cruise Ship Pier.
Customs House - Frederiksted, St. Croix
Street, Frederiksted, St. Croix, USVI
For more news
and information about Frederiksted visit