on St. Croix was constructed circa 1749 and was partially
rebuilt in 1771 after hurricane damage. The fort is now
a national historic site, the best preserved of the five
remaining Danish-built forts in the Virgin Islands, and
houses the park's visitor center. The fort is a wonderful
example of Danish colonial military architecture.
The fort was
built to protect the colony from the onslaught of pirates,
hurricanes and slave revolts. The fort is built in a star
shape around a small courtyard and includes corner bastions
and small dark dungeons. Although Danish soldiers were stationed
here until 1878, the forts cannons and guns have never been
fired in an armed conflict. After 1878 the fort served as
an island courthouse and prison and also for religious services.
Copyright StCroixTourism.com. All rights reserved.
All website contents
including pictures are the property of the owners, unless otherwise
noted, and may not be used for any other purpose without express written
permission by the owners of this website.
If you see errors, bad links or any information that is out of date
or incorrect please
contact our webmaster.